About Me

My photo
read the blog(s) and find out.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

from Snag to whitehorse. Grueling. grueling. almost killed me

June 16th

Yup, back in whitehorse now... but lets back up a bit.

Left the campsite, and anything i didn't put in the tent was damp or wet. It rained during the night and i'll need to dry everything out. still worth it though. $12 campsite (has wood for a pit) and $9 smokies. that's $21 and it would have cost me $89 plus food in a restaurant.

i had to stop yesterday since i almost fell alseep at the wheel. more than a few times. damn dangerous

today i hit the road at about 10:30. not great.

The road condition on the yukon side was an absolute horror. the road essentially had whoop-dee-doos in it, and almost threw me off the bike more than a few times.

The day started off nice enough.

I was not waking up so i stopped in at this gas/motel/cafe place. It looked a little run down, but hey, i needed coffee.
Inside there was a table and 4 chairs, and over every nook and cranny there was stuff. some for sale, some not. it was like walking inside someone's house.
by this point i pulled up a chair and asked for a coffee.
Cold and wet, a hot coffee by a wood stove sounded good.

The place is run by an older couple that have been running it for the last 40 years. we chatted for about an hour but i had to get some miles in, so i bid them farewell.

a nice couple harsh times for people out here.
the coffee and warm fire and chat did me some good, i felt good riding now... not falling alseep.

those clouds do not look good.

more clouds to the left and right, and when i looked in my mirrors, there was rain there too.
i was going to get a bit wet.

I did get a bit wet, but not that much. i needed gas and food so i stopped in at Destruction Bay
really good beef barley soup and ham and grilled cheese sandwich. hit the spot. can't remember the name of the cafe/motel/gas place, but the cafe closes at 2pm. i walked in at like 1:55. hah.

good food.

around the lake by destruction bay

non picture interlude.

From around 4pm until about 6:30, it rained. it rained really hard. I thought my rain jacket and liner would keep me dry. they didn't. i thought my rain pants would keep me dry, it did to a point.

i didn't have a chance to fall alseep now, it was just bad weather. my facesheild fogged inside very badly, and i had water coming on the inside of the visor as well. gotta figure where it's coming from, but i think it's coming in from the vent ports. arg.

I was cold. freezing. it was roughly 6 degrees C and my hands were cold and wet, my feet cold and wet, and i was starting to lose ability to move my arms and legs. not good. i needed off fast.

I tried to go as fast as i could, but hydroplanning over puddles scared the shit out of me.

I finally got to whitehorse, where it was not raining as hard and was a bit warmer. 8 degrees C.

i pulled in to the 1st motel i saw that had internet and doors out front. i walked inside with all my gear on. i slowly took off my gloves and helmet. my hands were purple and shaking and wet. I was shivering.
got the room and quickly some gear off the bike and inside. I took a hot shower for about 30 or so minutes. my hands were burning. wow. i was not in good shape.

I laid down for a bit and got dressed. thankfully i put my clothes in big ziplock bags so it was dry.
I only had wet shoes and wet boots. I chose to put on the wet socks (wool blend) and put on the wet shoes. funny. my feet were warm.

went out and got some food and a coffee.

The place was an absolute dump. the internet was a coin operated computer in their front office/lobby.
the room was crap. there was even blood on the floor. seriously. gross.
i couldn't wait to get out of there.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! Where's Gil Grissom when you need him.